About Our Church
Sunday celebration 10:30am, all are welcome.
HOME OF THE
FAIRFAX FOOD PANTRY
We are NOT a typical church, and we're proud of it! We are made up of young and not-so-young, gay and not gay, all different levels of education, married, single, divorced, widowed. We come from a variety of church backgrounds, or no church background.
Our theological stance is best described by the Center for Progressive Christianity's 8 points. By calling ourselves progressive, we mean that we are Christians who:
1. Have found an approach to God through the life and teachings of Jesus,
2. Recognize the faithfulness of other people who have other names for the way to God's realm, and acknowledge that their ways are true for them, as our ways are true for us,
3. Understand the sharing of bread and wine in Jesus's name to be a representation of an ancient vision of God's feast for all peoples,
4. Invite all people to participate in our community and worship life without insisting that they become like us in order to be acceptable (including but not limited to): believers and agnostics, conventional Christians and questioning skeptics, women and men, those of all sexual orientations and gender identities, those of all races and cultures, those of all classes and abilities, those who hope for a better world and those who have lost hope,
5. Know that the way we behave toward one another and toward other people is the fullest expression of what we believe,
6. Find more grace in the search for understanding than we do in dogmatic certainty - more value in questioning than in absolutes,
7. Form ourselves into communities dedicated to equipping one another for the work we feel called to do: striving for peace and justice among all people, protecting and restoring the integrity of all God's creation, and bringing hope to those Jesus called the least of his sisters and brothers, and
8. Recognize that being followers of Jesus is costly, and entails selfless love, conscientious resistance to evil, and renunciation of privilege.
Choosing a Spiritual Community Guide
Finding a spiritual community that is right for you is a tender and sometimes perplexing process. Please take your time, breathe deeply, and smile often as you embark on this significant journey. Read Our Guide